Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Visiting Budapest [Part 6/6]: Hungarian Parliament

I feel like I should put a disclaimer before I even start to post this final part of images from Budapest. These images will conclude the main story I have to tell about this wonderful city, and they take us to the Hungarian Parliament. But getting there proved to be a problem. A 100 m radius around the Parliament is basically a construction zone. The city is constantly being updated and renewed, and the park behind and in front of the Parliament certainly is one of those parts. I tried my best to get as close as I could, but I do hope you'll still enjoy our grand finale. 

This Series includes:
Part One: Visiting Buda Castle and Fisherman's Bastion
Part Two: Visiting Heroes Square, City Park and the Zoo
Part Three: A Night in Budapest (1)
Part Four: A Night in Budapest (2) 
Part Five: Visiting Great Market Hall and roaming the city
Part Six: Visiting the Hungarian Parliament

click on the images for a bigger view


The weather started turning during our last day in Budapest, and as the night started to approach, rain began to fall. 


We took shelter in the West End City Center, that is right next to the Main Railway Station, which we also briefly saw.



After the rain somewhat stabilized, we started our walk to the Danube, not yet aware that we would not be able to come close to the parliament.



On the other side of the Danube, we saw the Fisherman's Bastion on the Castle Hill, which we had previously visited in Parts 1, 3 and 4 of these posts.


No photographers were harmed in the making of this photo. This is the end of the tram line, and behind me is basically a wall. No trains here. But still I love the low angle here, and the 6D's full frame sensor really made the image pop.


On our way back we also visited another city park. I love the shadows the trees create on this building. What amazes me in Budapest is the sense of grandeur in every building. From ordinary citizen homes to important political or historical buildings.



A statue of Ronald Reagan can be found there. Along with a touchscreen guide on his left side. It was unveiled in 2011.



The Parliament in the distance.  It is one of Europe's oldest legislative buildings. The Parliament Building is in the Gothic Revival style; it has a symmetrical facade and a central dome. About one thousand people were involved in construction, during which 40 million bricks, half a million precious stones and 40 kilograms (88 lb) of gold were used.
 


A nice tree line led us out of the park, and we returned to our apartment to get ready for our journey back home.


I truly hope you have enjoyed this six-part series from Budapest. I will do some snippets here and there, but this part here concludes our journey. Budapest has been called Paris of the east, but after staying there and enjoying all the sights and history this place has to offer, one can't help but wonder: shouldn't Paris be called Budapest of the west...

32 comments:

  1. my internet is acting up today so some of the photos wouldn't load for me, but i enjoyed the night scenes of the city in lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did so enjoy the night shots, Mersed!! This has been a terrific series!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!! Hope your week is going well! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a big series. And I know that it was probably overwhelming with all sorts of shots, but I'm glad so many people enjoyed them.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this wonderful post.....your ( night ) pictures are always very nice and colorful.

    Greetings from Holland, Joop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the colorful light of the city at night.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful diary and photo, now you have a new camera.. so good :-)
    ciao
    Stefano

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get over your night shots - wonderful photography!
    I liked the fun Ronald Reagan shots!!!
    Wow on the tram line shot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carletta. So glad you enjoyed these.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely fantastic photos of this wonderful city. Your photography is exceptional! Thank you for this look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic night photography, Mersad! You shoot the rail road from a very low point and it's very powerful photograph.

    Ah, such a beautiful city and beautiful photographer! Very inspirational!

    A hug from Kaya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The night shots of the buildings, train tracks, and tree-lined walk are so beautiful. You make me want to try my hand at night photography. The girls are very photogenic and natural models. :) Love the Ronald Reagan statue and the fun you had with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. The Reagan statue was a find by luck. And I'm glad we stumbled upon it.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful night photography! The lights are fantastic! The Reagan photos made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hiMersad. loved the first shot, the railway lines and the statues fun shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first picture is captivating... I love it. I was a bit worried when I saw the train lines ... but smiled at the interaction between the young lady and Ronald Reagan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I found it, and enjoyed the photos immensely. Your two subjects are a delight, did you introduce them, I missed it if you did. And yes, Paris should be the Budapest of the west.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A visit to your blog is almost as good as a real European vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a big compliment. Thank you Kathy!

      Delete
  14. Wow, tolle Bilder!! Darf ich fragen, wer die zwei Frauen sind, die bei dir immer wieder auf den Fotos auftauchen? LG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Das sind meine Schwester und meine beste Freundin (dunkelhaarige)

      Delete
    2. Schöne Frauen und als "Fotomodel" sind sie perfekt auf deinen Bildern.

      Delete
  15. Wonderful shots and even a statue of my favorite president. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.